Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Drakelow NR and Contact with an Alien - on 13th August and 28th September, 2017

Sunday, 13th August

I'd not visited Drakelow Nature Reserve, managed by Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, for some time, mainly because of the construction of a solar farm taking place next door to the reserve. As the work had now finished and this place can be good for dragonflies as well as birds, I decided on a visit on 13th August. Because of the bird factor, I took the 50-500 lens on my camera, rather than the 150 macro.

I'd not been on the path for long when I found a young rabbit that was much more confiding that usual. 

Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) - Drakelow NR
A little further on I found my first Southern Hawker of the year. 


Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) (male) - Drakelow NR
There were surprisingly few butterflies around, but this could have been because it was breezy. This rather worn female Common Blue was settling on the path-side vegetation from time to time.

Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) (female) - Drakelow NR
There was a pair of Black Swans on the far side of one of the lakes, but too far away for sensible photography. I photographed few birds that day, but the next is of one of them.

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Drakelow NR
A little further on I found my first Migrant Hawker of the year. Happily, this was a female. It's not often I see the females of this species - I wouldn't be surprised if the sighting ratio was 50 males to 1 female!

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (female) - Drakelow NR
There were a few Speckled Wood butterflies on the reserve.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Drakelow NR
At the risk of confusing the reader, further on I found a mating pair of Common Blue - this time Common Blue Damselfly, rather than Common Blue butterfly!

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (pair mating) - Drakelow NR
I was a little surprised at how few Common Darter dragonflies were around - here's one:

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Drakelow NR
As I was heading out of the reserve, I stopped by a lake and a Kingfisher flew in and landed in a distant tree. This is the best I could do before it flew off again! This was extremely exciting for me as I'd not yet had my close encounters with Kingfisher which feature in some of my earlier posts.

Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) - Drakelow NR
Thursday, 28th September

Well over a month passed before my next visit. I arrived at lunch time and stopped off beside a lake to have a quick look around before lunch. There were a few dragonflies around including several Common Darters, a couple of male Migrant Hawkers, and a possible Southern Hawker seen briefly at a distance. I only managed photos of Common Darter.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Drakelow NR
There were several Caddisflies around, but I do not know of hat species they were.

Caddisfly species - Drakelow NR
I noticed that one particular type of flower was attracting numerous bees that seemed to look very white. I have no idea what this plant was, or what the species of bee was, but I believe that the pale colouration of the bees was probably due to a covering of pale pollen. This is one with a little less pollen on its abdomen.

Bee species - Drakelow NR
I also saw the first of many butterflies here.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Drakelow NR
I took my picnic into the first hide and was nearing the end of my lunch when a couple of old acquaintances arrived. During our chat they informed me of an alien that they'd seen on the reserve, and where it could sometimes be seen.

Having finished my lunch, I set off into the reserve. I was soon finding a few dragonflies, but only managed to photograph two species. 

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Drakelow NR
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Drakelow NR
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Drakelow NR
I also saw what will almost certainly prove to be my last damselfly of the year - a Common Blue Damselfly.

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Drakelow NR
An adult Dock Bug (a close relative to the shieldbugs) presented itself nicely in the sunshine.

Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus) (adult) - Drakelow NR
Butterflies seen included several Speckled Wood, but I didn't photograph any of that species.


Comma (Polygonia c-album) - Drakelow NR

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Drakelow NR
By this time I'd passed by the location that the alien was said to frequent, and I didn't see it. However, it was there on the way back as I reached the main path. Although it had been described to me, I still couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the size of the Yellow-bellied Slider that had hauled out of the water - it must have been as big as a dinner plate!

It was in a very difficult position for photography and facing away from me behind bushes as I stood on the nearest part of the bank. Here's a view from the side path that I'd just come down.

Yellow-bellied Slider (Trachemys scripta scripta) - Drakelow NR
Eventually I was able to find a place where I could just get a view from the near part of the bank, where I waited until it turned its head, as in the next image.

Yellow-bellied Slider (Trachemys scripta scripta) - Drakelow NR
I hung around for a while in the hope of getting a better view, but it didn't seem to want to move so I continued to a more remote part of the reserve. 

I saw very little, other than a few Migrant Hawker dragonflies that were very uncooperative, and some Common Green Shieldbugs. The Common Green Shieldbug is very variable in colour in all its stages. This can be seen in the following two images showing 5th instars (nymphs) of the species. 


Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasena) (5th instars) - Drakelow NR
The adults are also extremely variable in colour, and take on a brownish hue as autumn progresses. However, I have never before seen one with the extreme colouration as shown in the second image. At first I thought I'd got a different species!


Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasena) (adult) - Drakelow NR
To my utter surprise, as I made my way back to my start point, I found the Slider was out of the water and making its way across the path in front of me.  As I approached, it stopped. giving me the opportunity to take some closer photos. Sadly, however, it was in deep shade, so I didn't do well. 

Yellow-bellied Slider (Trachemys scripta scripta) - Drakelow NR
Not wanting to disturb it too much, although it had probably grown up with human contact, I didn't stay with it for long. I did, however, for some crazy reason decide that I wanted to touch it. I very gently touched its carapace with the tip of a finger, taking care not to go anywhere near its mouth (they can, I understand, take chunks out of you!). I had made contact with an alien!

My last photos were of another Migrant Hawker. This one was in better condition than the first one.

Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Drakelow NR
Yellow-Bellied Slider

The Yellow-bellied Slider is a native of the southeastern United States (Florida and Virginia). Like the Red-eared Slider (more usually known as the Red-eared Terrapin in UK), it is traded as a pet. Sadly, although these are usually bought as cute little creatures, they can grow to a very large size, and outgrow their welcome. I do not know what the responsible or humane way of disposal is, but it is certainly not releasing them into the wild, where they cause all sorts of problems. I suspect that this individual was released into the River Trent, which adjoins the reserve, and made its own way into the reserve (the reserve is members-only with a security gate). I'm not sure whether this Yellow-bellied Slider can survive an English winter (recommended temperatures for keeping them are higher than those of the average UK centrally heated home), but Red-eared Terrapins can certainly survive an English winter. 

When I encountered this creature out of the water I wished I knew what the best course of action was. I felt sure that, if I'd had something I could put it in securely, I should have picked it up and transported it to somewhere where it would be dealt with in an appropriate manner. If anyone has any views or knowledge on this subject, I'd be pleased to hear them. When I mentioned what I'd seen to the none-too-helpful person who was working on the site (those that know the site will know precisely who that person is) I was just told "yes, and there's Red-eared Terrapins here too".

Thank you for dropping by. I have absolutely no idea what the subject of my next post will be.

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a great collection of insects to see in autumn even if they were taken in August :-) Love the slider, I do not think I have ever seen them on dry land. I like the shot of the cormorant as well. Interesting colour variations with the green shield bugs, it looks like someone has been touching them up with a bit of gold. Lovely set of photos, looks like and interesting place to walk especially with a photogenic bunny.
    Take care, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is an interesting, and easy place to walk, Diane. It's all pretty-much on the flat, and I very rarely see anyone else whilst walking on the trails. Even the hides are little-used. Although I probably see someone else in the first hide on around 50% of my visits, I've only once found anyone in the second hide, and never seen anyone else in the other two hides! Lindsay and I had our Christmas Day lunch in the second hide a couple of years ago! We had the whole reserve completely to ourselves!

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. A lovely set of photos Richard. For colour, the southern Hawker has to be one of the best looking dragonflies we have in this country. Nice to see you caught up with a number of Migrant Hawkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I'm always excited to find a Southern Hawker, Marc, I'm not sure it's one of my favourites from a colouration point of view. I'd probably nominate Broad-bodied Chaser, female Keeled Skimmer (gold, gold, and more gold!), and possibly the yet-to-be-seen (by me, anyway!) Norfolk Hawker. Oops - nearly forgot Golden-ringed!

      Migrant Hawker is one of the easier dragonflies to find in these parts, after Common Darter, Emperor, and Four-spotted Chaser (in that order).

      With my best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Oh wonderful bunny! here was also a turtle that was released nature, it did not survive in the cold. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. I think I would have been extremely surprised if a turtle could survive your winter! It's so sad that people release them into the wild - or that people keep them as 'pets' in the first place!

      With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. wOw A spectacular collection of images of all the insects and butterflies you couldnd on your walk, brilliant photography. Loved the Slider images as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I enjoyed my afternoon there immensely.

      with my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. The thing that caught my attention most in this post, Richard, is probably the most peripheral comment of all, and it relates to the presence of Black Swan. I remember being at the RSPB Reserve in Conwy Wales thirteen years ago if I am not mistaken, and two Black Swans flew in while I was there. There didn't appear to be any dedicated birders present but I asked a couple of casual observers whether they knew if the species was considered feral (perhaps I should have said "countable" or "twitchable") - all they could tell me was, "You see them everywhere these days." Has this species in fact established a wild population in the UK and is it now considered a resident, valid species? Obviously it has been able to handle British winters better than the turtle you encountered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. As I'm not a 'bird lister' I didn't know the answer to what is a simple, but nevertheless technical question. However, it does seem that the bird is not on the BOU's British List - i.e. a British birder would not give it a tick. They were introduced into parks as ornamental birds, much in the same way a Peacocks and Golden Pheasant were, and although they are not uncommon in the wild they are not thought likely to establish a breeding population in the wild due to competition with Mute Swan (their requirements are virtually identical). I first saw one (a pair actually) 'in the wild' in Chichester Harbour (off the Solent) in 2007. The ones at Drakelow were my first sighting this far north.

      My love to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Beautiful images of the dragonflies and the butterflies, and the Shieldbugs and Yellow-bellied Slider, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I just hope that Slider doesn't die a slow uncomfortable death, but I suspect it will. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Superb post Richard very impressed with the detail of all images,super job,the Yellow Bellied Slider images are also stunning,it's a pity that some person released it, what a shame.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, John. I'm of the opinion that selling these creatures to the general public ought to be prohibited, or require the purchaser to have some sort of licence at least.

      My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Shame on the owner for dumping the YBS. I fear more of these will be dumped on our waterways I've spotted four on various reserves over the summer (Summer Leys, Pitsford, Fen Drayton, Pitstone Reservoir). Last year the EU introduced new laws and as with all EU laws there was a lot of misinformation in regards to it. These species are going to be either be limited or banned but a lot of 'forums' reported illegal to own. So of course people dumped them :-(
    Personally I've caught one and just picked it up from behind, turned it over whilst I carried it to the car and just put it in the boot and dropped it off a local animal sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like really good advice, Doug. Thank you. Just checked where my local sanctuary is and it looks like a good prospect for the next time.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I go a bit further a place the animal sanctuary name and number in hides lol

      Delete
    3. Great idea, Doug. I'll check that it's OK with the sanctuary and give that a try - I'll also check it's OK with the reserve manager if I can find him!

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard,
    this is really a beautiful post!
    The dragonflies are beautifully geophotographed and so beautifully sharp and hedler in color.
    The butterflies have also made you feel beautiful. The green stink wants are also beautiful in the picture. The birds you saw are very nice too. Also many bugs. I thoroughly enjoyed these beautiful pictures of the inhabitants of nature.

    Best regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helma, for your kind words. I had a very enjoyable time tasking these photos.

      with my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi. Awesome photos. Rabbit is so cute. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and your kind words, Sami. Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.