Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 12 January 2012

The Food Fight - on 8th January, 2012

In my last post, I mentioned a scrap between a Short-eared Owl and a Kestrel. It seems that the Kestrel (a female) took exception to the SEO hunting during the daylight hours, and when the SEO caught a vole, the Kestrel tried to claim it for itself. The ensuing dogfight was fascinating to observe and ended up with both birds (and the vole, which was in free fall!) plunging towards the earth. All, except the vole, pulled out at the last moment! Unfortunately the action was at a distance of approximately 300 metres from me so the images are pretty poor, but they do illustrate the story.





Short-eared Owl and Kestrel (female) - near Ashby de la Zouch

10 comments:

  1. Great sequence
    Why bother catching a meal when you can mug someone & take theirs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stevie. Good to hear from you. In the early days of the SEOs being here it was the crows that were causing most of the aggro. This situation with the Kestrel seems to have been a recent development, and I've seen it twice more since taking these photos a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set Richard, brilliant detail considering the distance involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Paul. Haven't seen anything from you for a while, so I guess you're still busy elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic to see this let alone capture it on camera, well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Linda. Saw it again yesterday afternoon - also a scrap with a Lesser Black-backed Gull - so maybe another post on this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Richard - fantastic action images! I'd love to get some like this - it's a dream sequence - the kestrel and the owl. Very enjoyable to view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Christian. I'd happily swap my SEO/Kestrel scrap for your Barn Owl opportunity !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous story Richard and great shot of them heading for the ground with the vole seemingly waiting to be picked off by the kestrel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Phil. I suspect that I'll be seeing more of this sort of scrap whilst the owls stay with us, as I can sometimes see three Kestrels hunting simultaneously, and the aggression towards the owls seems to be increasing.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.