Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Hoopoe Hunting - on 3rd & 4th May, 2010

I had been looking wistfully at reports of a Hoopoe at Clayhanger Marsh, in the West Midlands - it would be a UK 'lifer' for me. It seemed a bit far to go - and then I checked and found that this was only 40 km (25 miles) away from my home! It was sunny (although the weather forecast was not good), and so I set off, a bit later than I would have liked. I arrived to find that the bird had not been seen for over an hour, after it had flown off along the old railway embankment. I amused myself, whilst scanning around, with grabbing some images of some of the warblers, of which there were plenty around.

Chiffchaff


Whitethroat

With no sight of the bird for well-over three hours, and virtually no one around now (presumably because of the failing weather and lack of bird), I decided to take a circular exploration of the site. This bird has a reputation for being elusive, and the site is a large one, with the bird being seen in several different areas. Then the rain started, followed by a heavy hail storm which stung (I'm rather bald, and was not wearing a hat!). Couldn't resist a shot of a very wet Starling. On getting back to the the slag heap I found a couple of birders sheltering under a bush and I thought that it was time to go. That was my biggest mistake - ten minutes after I left it was spotted beside the slag heap!

Starling

Encouraged by fine weather, and the blessings of my wife, I decided to return the following day. I arrived to find no one in sight anywhere, and no sight of the bird, from the slag heap. I was just about to leave when another birder arrived from the opposite direction. He had not seen anything from the other side either. After chatting for a few minutes I set off to explore the other potential areas. On the way, I found this Reed Bunting singing loudly.



Reed Bunting (male)

As I approached the green bridge, I saw that people had arrived since I had looked from the slag heap, and they were obviously onto something. I stopped looking for Grasshopper Warbler and made a bee-line for the bridge - there was the Hoopoe, albeit at a great distance. And there it stayed for a long while, until it disappeared behind a gorse thicket, so only record shots obtained with my 400 mm lens.



Hoopoe (for me, a record shot is better than nothing!)

In trying to find where the Hoopoe had gone, I found this Whitethroat - possibly the same one as on the previous day, as it was in roughly the same location.

Whitethroat

Having returned to the bridge, I was told that someone had walked across the meadow and flushed the Hoopoe (I later spoke to a couple who confessed to inadvertently doing this - so I forgive them) - so I decided to head off. On the way back to the car, I stopped to take some shots of a Sedge Warbler.


Sedge Warbler

After Clayhanger Marsh, I set off to have my lunch at my favourite picnic spot again. However, I was foiled by the road access being closed "for a few days" from both directions for roadworks. (the previous day, it had been already fully occupoed by bird photographers and 'locals. I decided, therefore, that I'd take my lunch at Croxall Lakes, on my way home. There were plenty of warblers around, but no photos resulted (just missed shooting a pair of Lesser Whitethroat), except for a few butterflies.

Green-veined White (male)


Orange Tip (female)

Orange Tip (male)

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant set of pictures. Pleased for you that you got your Hoopoe:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pisc for a bird lover , next time closer.........
    I discover yesterday where a hoopoe has raised its pics in the tiles of a roof!
    I look forward to sping when it comes back and see if a i can do some pics....
    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you El Campero. The Hoopoe is a rare bird in UK. This is the only one that I have seen here. The only other one that I have seen was in Saneja, near Puigcerdà in your own country!

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.