Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 13 May 2008

Rutland Water (Lyndon Reserve) on 12th May 2008

The reason that most people visit the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water is to see the Ospreys, and they certainly do provide a spectacular sight on occasions. Currently sights of Ospreys are virtually guaranteed, and I do not think that it is too unusual to see four at a time, although I only saw three at any one time yesterday. Unfortunately, most of the action is a little too far away for my lens, so most of my shots are little more than record shots (as on this day).

Osprey 08(97)

Osprey 08(97) landing on nest where 5N(04) is incubating

However, the Lyndon Reserve is also great for a good variety of other birds. I was on duty as an Osprey Volunteer yesterday, but I started off with a visit to Shallow Water hide. On the way, amongst other things, I found some Willow Warblers (one of which I took some shots of).

Willow Warbler

Having arrived at Shallow Water hide, a summer-plumaged Turnstone made a fine sight. This tends to be a better location for getting shots of the Ospreys, although Waderscrape hide is the 'official' Osprey watching point. I managed a few shots of other birds whilst at Shallow Water. One Black-Headed Gull was being particularly entertaining.

Female Shelduck

.

Male Shelduck


Black Headed Gull taking off

Black-Headed Gull 'walking on water'

Black-Headed Gull

On the way home, there was a fine sunset which I just had to stop and photograph!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.